Re: [xsl] CSS for XSL:FO?

Subject: Re: [xsl] CSS for XSL:FO?
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 12:18:54 -0500
At 2002-11-27 09:58 -0500, Lee, Insoo wrote:
  I have a table for my XSL for XSL:FO
  Is there any way to incorporate CSS so that I don't have to repeat same
style settings for each table header font?

The three properties you cite are all inherited, so you could put them anywhere in the document hierarchy "above" the table cells: just the row, or the body, or the table itself, etc.

The FO processor goes through the process named "refinement" to find all of the traits applicable to formatting objects from the properties specified in the FO structure. Part of refinement is to search the ancestry for inherited properties. Strategic placement of properties can be very helpful in keeping the structure smaller and the stylesheet simpler.

I hope this helps.

........................... Ken

p.s. All of the annexes of our XSL-FO book are in full in the free download preview available from the "Book Sales" link on our home page ... the summary of inherited properties is on page 138. All these are hyperlinked on the page number to the page in the preview with the property description, and hyperlinked on the section number to the actual FO specification section that comes up in a browser window. You can use this summary as a quick way to see descriptions (both the formal Rec and our book versions) of all properties, without any obligation to buy the book.

--
Upcoming hands-on in-depth XSLT/XPath and/or XSL-FO:
-                             North America:  Feb 3 - Feb 7,2003

G. Ken Holman               mailto:gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Crane Softwrights Ltd.        http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/
Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0  +1(613)489-0999 (F:-0995)
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                     Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                             Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-10-1             Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Next conference training:                    2002-12-08,03-03,06