[xsl] Re: Re: Let's face it: side effects are sometimes necessary!

Subject: [xsl] Re: Re: Let's face it: side effects are sometimes necessary!
From: Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 21:36:54 -0800 (PST)
--- David Carlisle wrote:

> PS
> I don't agree with the subject line:-)

David is completely right.

The willingness (of the person who started this thread) to face a
problem is not sufficient even to understand it -- some reading and
knowledge will not hurt.

Side effects can be controlled -- e.g. read about monads and the
implementation of the Monad class in Haskell.

Although XSLT does not have explicit support for monads, something can
be done. In the FXSL Calculator I'm closely following the definition of
the monadic "then", "bind" and "return" operators. As a result, a
completely controlled, side-effects-free interactive dialog with a user
is implemented in XSLT using an extension function in a controlled
manner.

I share the concerns about the recent quality of this list -- we need
react to ignorance.

=====
Cheers,

Dimitre Novatchev.