Re: [xsl] qualitative decline of xsl-list questions

Subject: Re: [xsl] qualitative decline of xsl-list questions
From: "B. Tommie Usdin" <btusdin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 09:55:21 -0500
While I do understand the impulse to grump at people who seem to be asking lazy questions on XSL-List I'd like to suggest that we take a calm approach to them. Some of the flailing beginners we help out become experts helping others in an astonishingly short time.

I do have a form letter that I send to people who seem to be asking questions without doing any homework (or without telling us about it when they ask). I send it off-list, mostly to avoid embarrassing the person, and partially so that you aren't all pestered with the note every time I send it.

I suggest that when someone asks a "please do my thinking for me" or "I haven't a clue" type question that list members:

  - provide a short helpful answer and point the requester to a good
    book or class; or

  - send an off-list message to me asking me to send the "dumb question"
    message; or

  - simply refrain from responding.

I'll send my "How to get good answers from XSL-List message to them.

Thanks.

-- Tommie

B. Tommie Usdin                        mailto:btusdin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx