RE: [xsl] nbsp (in parameter) question

Subject: RE: [xsl] nbsp (in parameter) question
From: "Michael Kay" <michael.h.kay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 10:35:34 -0000
> I am passing a parameter to a xsl stylesheet which outputs HTML. This
> param is simply printed by the stylesheet.
>
> The problem is that the data i am passing to this param is something
> like this
>
> UserName : XYZ nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp; Company Name : ZZZ
>
> That whole String is one parameter, and i want it to be
> printed out like
> this :
>
> UserName : XYZ Company Name : ZZZ
>
> Note, that it must be printed with spaces in between.
>
> I know i can replace nbsp; with &#160; while passing the
> parameter data. But this is not working. The output i get in
> that case is :
>
> UserName : XYZ &#160;&#160;&#160; Company Name : ZZZ
>
> The conversion of &#160; to a space is not happening.

The conversion of &#160; to a non-breaking space is done by an XML
parser. When you pass a string as a parameter to the stylesheet, it is
never processed by an XML parser, so XML character references are not
substituted. You will have to work out how to generate a string
containing this character in your chosen programming language: if you
are using Java, you can write it as "\u00a0".

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael.H.Kay@xxxxxxxxxxxx
work: Michael.Kay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx