RE: [xsl] Locating Things Relative to Location of Style Sheet

Subject: RE: [xsl] Locating Things Relative to Location of Style Sheet
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 09:13:38 -0500
At 2002-12-06 13:01 +0000, DPawson@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
If others would Iike to add their voice before I submit
it to the editors?

Many of us feel very strongly that the "programming users of XML" have hijacked XPath and disenfranchised traditional document users who need to treat the information as strings with necessary, but secondary, needs for validating the strings are what the labels purport them to be.

As has been said it would be very nice to have some of the additional features and functionalities to make working with XML easier than some of the gyrations necessary for concurred limitations of XPath 1.0 ... but not at the expense of the encumbrances of W3C Schema.

XPath 1.0 was based on XML and Namespaces ... XPath 2.0 is not: it is based on W3C Schema. Why can we not have an XPath 2.0 based on XML and then some W3C Schema thingy or W3C Query thingy that is based on the PSVI?

And why should W3C Query disregard document users by focusing solely on W3C Schema anyway? But that is another topic.

Those who want to do text processing could then use the XML-based XPath 2.0 and those who want to do data processing could then use the W3C Schema-based thingy. Those who want to do text querying could then use W3C Query with the document addressing subsystem and those who want to do data querying could then use W3C Query with the W3C Schema-based thingy.

What is so very wrong with distinctly identified layers for different audiences of users?

For netiquette reasons I've been reluctant to post "me too" arguments when the reasonings and concerns have already been eloquently expressed ... in fact I've been made to feel slow on the uptake when others so quickly state what to me is obvious about how the W3C is impoverishing document users on the web.

I'm not sure that volume of response is necessary here, since the technical reasons presented earlier by others should have already satisfied the W3C that something is wrong ... why are they not listening since I'm quite sure they are hearing?

-- Upcoming hands-on in-depth XSLT/XPath and/or XSL-FO: - North America: Feb 3 - Feb 7,2003

G. Ken Holman               mailto:gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Crane Softwrights Ltd.        http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/
Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0  +1(613)489-0999 (F:-0995)
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                     Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                             Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-10-1             Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Next conference training:                    2002-12-08,03-03,06