[xsl] Memory housekeeping in Saxon and other XSLT processors ...

Subject: [xsl] Memory housekeeping in Saxon and other XSLT processors ...
From: Gunther Schadow <gunther@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 10:49:49 -0500
Hi, what do you guys do if you have HUGE XML instances that your
transforms generate? Let's assume for a moment you have a transform
that replicates the input document 2 billion times, or something
similarly silly that really creates a HUGE string of output tree.
Is there anything in Saxon (or other XSLT processors) that would try
to keep a hold on the whole tree even though it dumps tags to the
output stream? Are there any switches I need to set to make sure that
memory for result trees is freed after a result node has been output?

I am having a problem with an XSLT based database dumper that ends
up haging after a while. I'm not sure if it is the JDBC driver or
server that hangs, but it's possible that Saxon accumulates memory
allocations. I never get an out-of-memory error ...

thanks,
-Gunther

-- Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D. gschadow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Medical Information Scientist Regenstrief Institute for Health Care Adjunct Assistant Professor Indiana University School of Medicine tel:1(317)630-7960 http://aurora.regenstrief.org