Re: [xsl] Multiple tranformations of a given element using XSL

Subject: Re: [xsl] Multiple tranformations of a given element using XSL
From: Mike Brown <mike@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 17:22:34 -0700 (MST)
Ram UGroups wrote:
> I might not have described the problem in the proper
> way and I do not have an example handy.
>
> But in short, I have around 50 elements that need to
> be renamed and then I have a few nodes whose child
> elements need to be renamed but only by adding a
> definite prefix. A third requirement asks for string
> manipulation of the content of few other elements.
>
> The three sets of elements overlap with each other.
> The second requirement can be done with just one
> template using XPATH (I hope). And the first and third
> requirements might need a template for a specific
> element. If the work needs to be assigned to different
> resources for integration towards the end, depending
> on which template runs last, the other two effects are
> nullified in the output tree.
>
> Basically I guess I am taking an object oriented
> approach rather than a procedural approach. Is that a
> right way to go with XSLs is what I wonder.

I'm still 90% certain that this is a very typical XSLT application.

XSLT is a functional, declarative language, not a procedural, imperative one,
so yes, to some degree it is similar to OOP. However, when you talk about a
2-step solution, you're defining it procedurally :)

Another thing about XSLT is that the input drives the output. It still sounds
like there's nothing you are doing that isn't based on the input. I mean there
shouldn't be any external processes involved.

It sounds like there's a finite number of combinations of things that could
happen to a given node from the input. Perhaps it would help if you figured
out what qualifies an input node for each type of processing.

It still would really help to have an example.

Mike

--
  Mike J. Brown   |  http://skew.org/~mike/resume/
  Denver, CO, USA |  http://skew.org/xml/