Re: [xsl] [XSL] extracting a verse

Subject: Re: [xsl] [XSL] extracting a verse
From: Jeni Tennison <jeni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 10:16:41 +0000
Hi David,

> I missed the start of this thread but is d-o-e acceptable?

Well, I think that your stylesheet demonstrates that the easiest way
to approach this problem is to use a serial, SAX-like process rather
than a tree-based process. And that's the point; when you start
treating the XML source and result as streams of events, it's easier
to use a SAX filter than XSLT.

Of course you might want to use XSLT for other reasons. I played
around with the idea of having a standard mapping of SAX events into
elements, e.g.:

  <sax:startElement name="foo" />
  <sax:endElement name="foo" />

which you could use as either the source or result of the stylesheet
(or both) as desired. I don't know if that's a worthwhile avenue to
pursue; it has the same disadvantage as d-o-e that there's no
guarantee of the well-formedness of the result.

Cheers,

Jeni

---
Jeni Tennison