[xsl] Performance issue XSL:FO

Subject: [xsl] Performance issue XSL:FO
From: "Lee, Insoo" <Insoo.Lee@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 09:41:30 -0500
  Hello, not sure if this question is appropriate for this newsgroup, but
could somebody help please?

  I'm generating XML on the fly from my servlet (line# 9 - using jdom,
reading from database) and after reading static XSL (line#7), I use
transformer to do XSL:FO translation (line#21).  However line#21 seems to be
taking awfully long.... about 5 minutes for 1500 rows of records...
  Is there anyway to improve the performance?  Thanks for your input in
advance

 p.s) if there is other newsgroup where this type of question should go,
please let me know. Thanks

1)	if( "pdf".equals( contentType ))
2)	{
3)                Driver driver = new Driver();
4)                driver.setOutputStream(response.getOutputStream());
5)                driver.setRenderer(Driver.RENDER_PDF);
6)                Transformer transformer=TransformerFactory.newInstance()
7)                    .newTransformer(new StreamSource(
"http://myserver.com:8881/fd/xml/rates_pdf.xsl"; ));
8)
9)                 URL url = new URL(
"http://myserver.com:8881/sp/xmlBuilder"; );
10)
11)                InputSource source = new InputSource( url.openStream());
12)                DOMParser parser = new DOMParser();
13)                parser.parse( source );
14)                Document doc = parser.getDocument();
15)                DOMSource inXML = new DOMSource( doc );
16)
17)
18)                System.out.println( "*************************** start
timing.... for XML-XSL:FO translation" );
19)                long t1 = System.currentTimeMillis();
20)
21)                transformer.transform( inXML, new SAXResult(
driver.getContentHandler()));
22)
23)                long t2 = System.currentTimeMillis();
24)                System.out.println( "*************************** time
delta for XML-XSL:FO translation: " + ( t2 - t1 ) + " ms" );
25)	}