Re: [xsl] key grouping with non-existing or empty elements

Subject: Re: [xsl] key grouping with non-existing or empty elements
From: Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heinicke@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 05:25:19 +0100
Hello Xiaocun,

getting what you want is really simple using keys, you only must set it
up as top-level element and use string(cell[@column='6']) as grouping key. So both non-existing element and empty element are evaluated to empty string "":

<xsl:key name="rows" match="row" use="string(cell[@column='6'])"/>

<xsl:template match="rootelement">
     <xsl:apply-templates select="row[generate-id() =
generate-id(key('rows', string(cell[@column='6'])))]" mode="start-group"/>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="row" mode="start-group">
       <xsl:value-of select="cell[@column='6']"/>"<xsl:text/>
   <xsl:apply-templates select="key('rows', string(cell[@column='6']))"/>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="row">
       <xsl:value-of select="cell[@column='1']"/>
</xsl:template>

Regards,

Joerg

Xiaocun Xu wrote:
Hi,

I have a question regarding grouping with key. Following is the input XML example:

<row row="1">
	<cell column="1">default_item1</cell>
	<cell column="6"></cell>
</row>
<row row="2">
	<cell column="1">default_item2</cell>
</row>
<row row="3">
	<cell column="1">lot01_item1</cell>
	<cell column="6">lot01</cell>
</row>
<row row="4">
	<cell column="1">lot02_item2</cell>
	<cell column="6">lot02</cell>
</row>

I have a number of items that need to be grouped by
lot (cell[column=6]).  As you can see, this cell is
optional.
I need to group rows that does not have cell[6] and
rows have cell[6] as empty string into the same group,
then process each of the row within the group via:
<xsl:apply-templates select="key('lineitemLotsKey',
$lotName)" mode="LineItem"/>

	The way I currently handling this is not very
elegent:
1. create a key on lot (cell 6) for all rows with cell
6 element:
	<xsl:variable name="LineItemLotColumn" select="6"/>
	<xsl:key name="lineitemLotsKey" match="//row[@row
&gt; $LineItemHeaderRow and
(cell[@column=$LineItemLotColumn])]"
use="cell[@column=$LineItemLotColumn]"/>
2. create a separate variable that contains rows that
does not have cell 6 element:
	<xsl:variable name="LineItemDefaultLot"
select="//row[@row &gt; $LineItemHeaderRow and
not(cell[@column=$LineItemLotColumn])]"/>
3. process $LineItemDefaultLot separately.
4. when process rows in key lineitemLotsKey, check for
string(cell[6]).  If empty, then does similar
processing as #3.

Of course, a slight improvement would be for #2,
instead of get all rows that does not have cell 6
element, also get all rows that has cell 6 element
equal to empty string.  That way, I would not need to
check for string(cell[6]) in step #4.

Is there a more elegent way than these above?

Thanks,

Xiaocun
xiaocunxu@xxxxxxxxx