Re: [xsl] Re: How to output open/close tags independently?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Re: How to output open/close tags independently?
From: Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 23:36:45 -0800 (PST)
"Edward L. Knoll" <ed.knoll@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:3E10CC67.BA34F4FE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Not that I'm picking on you specifically Wendell, but your reply was
the
> most blatantly representative of a class of responses of a
particularly
> XSL purist/snobbish nature which I find extremely objectionable.

Edward,

What is beyond the scope (note, I'm not saying "extremely
objectionable") in this (xslt) forum is a suggestion to use d-o-e just
as a substitute of an XSLT solution:

1. It was already pointed out by Wendell and Mike that in case you
wanted a non-XSLT solution, you'd be better off using another language
-- e.g. Pearl.

2. It is well-known that using XSLT for processing extremely large
(having hundreds of thousands of nodes) xml documents is and will be
slow.

Somebody could even speculate that the real problem with processing
such big documents stems from bad design...

To summarise, in this XSLT forum you asked for an XSLT solution and it
was offered to you. In case you found this response "exteremely
objectionable", then most probably it is not an XSLT solution that
you're looking after.

BTW, my results are absolutely different.

For 22000 "x" elements the timings I got for the DVC solution (a little
bit slower that the non-recursive) are:

MSXML4:      0.421 sec.

Saxon 6.5.2: 1.162 sec.

XalanJ3.2:   Similar to Saxon

XalanC:      4.196 sec.

You have never showed us your real xml document. Most probably the
problem you formulated here is a gross simplification of your real one,
how otherwise to explain the vast difference in timings?

=====
Cheers,

Dimitre Novatchev.