Re: [xsl] is this valid <xsl:template match="@id"> ?

Subject: Re: [xsl] is this valid <xsl:template match="@id"> ?
From: Niko Matsakis <niko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2003 17:30:48 -0500
It is more than a matter of simplicity: it allows engines to stream output. If attributes could be added at any time, then it would be impossible to output the result tree as it is generated because a new attribute could be added to an ancestor element, requiring the processor to change what it had already output

Niko Matsakis DataPower technology

Joerg Heinicke wrote:

Have a look into the spec: http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#creating-attributes. There you can find an enumeration about the errors while creating attributes.

I think it's only a question of simplicity. But I did not work on the spec, so somebody else can maybe tell you more about it.

Regards,

Joerg

SLakshman@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

thanks Joerg. it worked...

Can you tell why is this restriction ?  When we create CHILD ELEMENT or
ATTRIBUTE using DOM, the order did not seem to matter...

regards

Saravanan L

Tuesday, December 31, 2002 6:07 AM To: xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx cc: From: Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heinicke@xxxxxx> Subject: Re: [xsl] is this valid <xsl:template match="@id"> ?

Hello Saravanan,

you can not create an attribute after an element, so change

 > <xsl:template match="Item">
 >   <xsl:element name="Item">
 >     <xsl:apply-templates select="Name"></xsl:apply-templates>
 >     <xsl:apply-templates select="@ID"></xsl:apply-templates>
 >   </xsl:element>
 > </xsl:template>

 > <xsl:template match="Item">
 >   <xsl:element name="Item">
 >     <xsl:apply-templates select="@ID"></xsl:apply-templates>
 >     <xsl:apply-templates select="Name"></xsl:apply-templates>
 >   </xsl:element>
 > </xsl:template>

Regards,

Joerg