Re: [xsl] how to get an NCR in the output?

Subject: Re: [xsl] how to get an NCR in the output?
From: Tobias Reif <tobiasreif@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2003 10:50:12 +0100
Hi

Mike Brown wrote:

Sounds like you got UTF-8 output but your browsers think it's iso-8859-1.

yep

Either add
to the XHTML document, so the browser will interpret the bytes properly,

didn't help (NN6)

or change the encoding of the output:
<xsl:output method="xml" encoding="us-ascii"/>
will force numeric character references for all the non-ASCII characters.

That's good to know. But I like the XML prolog declaring UTF-8 ...

After having sent my question, I also started to suspect that I should tell the bwoser that the file is UTF-8, although the XML prolog already does so:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

What works is specifying the encoding in the header. I added

AddCharset UTF-8 xml

to my .htaccess. This works for NN6, IE6, Opera6, even NN4.

Thanks for your help!
I knew I could count on you :)

Tobi

--