[xsl] How do I create an FO index from XHTML <meta> keyword tags?

Subject: [xsl] How do I create an FO index from XHTML <meta> keyword tags?
From: Graham Hannington <Ghannington@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 10:58:58 -0000
I'm using an XSL stylesheet and FOP to transform a set of approx. 150 XHTML
files into a single, 260-page PDF.  The PDF is looking pretty good, and has
bookmarks and hyperlinked internal page number citations.

Now I want to add an index to the PDF, based on <meta> tags (in the XHTML
files) that look like this:

I already produce a compiled Windows Help file (.chm) from these XHTML
files.  In the .chm, the above <meta> produces the following index entries:

apples

fruit
  apples

apple pie

(That is, the index terms in the <meta> tag are comma separated, and ":" is
used to indicate a primary/secondary index entry.  Nothing fancier than
this: I don't currently do "tertiary" - third-level - index entries, or even
- though perhaps I should - "see" or "see also" entries.)

I'd be very grateful for any tips or pointers on where to start.

The