RE: [xsl] xsl:sort with lang attribute

Subject: RE: [xsl] xsl:sort with lang attribute
From: "Michael Kay" <michael.h.kay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 18:38:25 -0000
> How well do the current crop of XSLT processors
> (I'm thinking of Saxon6, Saxon7, Xalan, and xsltproc)
> support the lang attribute in xsl:sort?

Saxon 6.x uses the lang attribute to attempt to load a user-defined
sorting module, as described in [1]. There is no built-in support for
multiple languages, just hooks that allow you to do it yourself.

[1]
http://saxon.sourceforge.net/saxon6.5.2/extensibility.html#Implementing-
a-collating-sequence

Saxon 7.x allows you to use named collations as defined in the XPath 2.0
spec. The spec leaves the mechanism for creating collations
implementation-defined. Saxon provides a top-level saxon:collation
element that maps a collation name to the Java-defined collators and
locales; by default it uses the lang attribute on xsl:sort to load the
Java collator for the relevant locale.

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael.H.Kay@xxxxxxxxxxxx