Re: [xsl] combination of document() and generate-id() for hyperlinks

Subject: Re: [xsl] combination of document() and generate-id() for hyperlinks
From: Jeni Tennison <jeni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 11:25:13 +0000
Hi Julia,

> So far so good. What I want to do now is to create hyperlinks from
> the base document output (which is called base.xml) to the beginng
> of the other documents' output. And I don´t seem to be able to call
> the generate-id() -function the right way, although I read the FAQ.

I'm a bit confused about what you want as your output, but I think
that if you have:

  <mainApplication name="Demo"
                   configurationPath="product/demo/demoApplication.xml" />

then you want to create an anchor in the template in 'apps' mode,
which is currently:

>   <!-- processes the applications' configuration files-->
>   <xsl:template match="*[@configurationPath]" mode="apps">
>     <xsl:variable name="application" select="@configurationPath"/>
> <!-- this is were the link should refer to <a>--->
>     <h2>Application <xsl:value-of select="$application"/></h2>
> <!-- </a> -->
>     <xsl:apply-templates select="document($application)" mode="app"/>
>   </xsl:template>

and a link to that anchor in the template in default mode, which is
currently:

>   <xsl:template match="base:mainApplication">
>     <xsl:variable name="test" select="@configurationPath"/>
> <!-- Here I´d like to have a hyperlink><a>-->
> <!--</a>-->
>   </xsl:template>

For the apps mode template you want to create:

  <h2>
    <a name="appID">Application product/demo/demoApplication.xml</a>
  </h2>

while in the default mode template you create a link:

Is that correct? If so, you just need to use the generate-id()
function, within {}s for an attribute value template, instead of appID
in the above two outputs. In other words, your templates need to look
like:

<!-- processes the applications' configuration files-->
<xsl:template match="*[@configurationPath]" mode="apps">
  <xsl:variable name="application" select="@configurationPath"/>
  <h2>
    <a name="{generate-id()}">
      Application <xsl:value-of select="$application"/>
    </a>
  </h2>
  <xsl:apply-templates select="document($application)" mode="app"/>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="base:mainApplication">
  <xsl:variable name="test" select="@configurationPath"/>
</xsl:template>

Cheers,

Jeni