Re: [xsl] tree fragments in variable?!

Subject: Re: [xsl] tree fragments in variable?!
From: Mike Brown <mike@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 20:27:42 -0700 (MST)
Jan Mendling wrote:
> Hello XSLTies,
> when I use something like this:
> <xsl:variable name="header">
>   <th>Element</th>
>   <th>Description</th>
> </xsl:variable>
> Is there a way to address certain nodes with XPath-like "$header/*" for example? When trying this, it seemed that the content is stored like a string in the variable. Though, when I used xsl:value-of the tags had been eliminated.

The variable-binding element with content created a "result tree fragment"
which is a special type of node-set that cannot be addressed into and can only
be used as a string. However, all XSLT processors come with an extension
function that converts a result tree fragment to a node-set.

Here's a demonstration of one way to use them semi-generically:
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3df07962%241_3%40omega.dimensional.com&oe=UTF-8&output=gplain

Mike

--
  Mike J. Brown   |  http://skew.org/~mike/resume/