[xsl] top level params and xsl:attribute magic?

Subject: [xsl] top level params and xsl:attribute magic?
From: S Woodside <sbwoodside@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 23:54:38 -0500
I'm beginning to think that XSLT is a bit like magic. If you think the right way, and use the right magic incantation, it works like a charm. If you don't, no cigar.

I have this top-level param to grab a param from http:
  <xsl:param name="StartPointStr">.</xsl:param>

The param StartPointStr is an Xpath string. Next I have this (which works) (1)
<xsl:param name="StartNode" select="dyn:evaluate($StartPointStr)"/>

Compare to this (which doesn't work): (2)
  <xsl:param name="StartNode">
        <xsl:attribute name="select">
          <xsl:value-of select="dyn:evaluate($StartPointStr)"/>
        </xsl:attribute>
  </xsl:param>

(1) works and (2) doesn't work. With two, I get nothing, empty node set. They should be equivalent!

OK, wait, I see in the spec "The xsl:attribute element can be used to add attributes to result elements" ... so this must be an illegal use of xsl:attribute. But LibXSLT doesn't complain ... maybe this is just a case of inadequate error detection and reporting the in the implementation (I used to see that very often in C++ compilers...)

simon

---
www.simonwoodside.com