Re: [xsl] New to XSL - invalid token error

Subject: Re: [xsl] New to XSL - invalid token error
From: Francis Norton <francis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 23:54:19 +0000
Well I'll be blowed.

Michael Kay wrote:

Recent drafts of XQuery are closer to real XML syntax. You now write

return <book authorCount="{ count($authors) }"/>

I'm way out of touch, it's all there on the site. I'm still looking at it. Does it mean that an XQuery statement is essentially a well-formed mixed-content XML fragment? I bet I'm not the only one who's noticed that the sometimes puzzling distinction in XSLT between the root *node* and the root *element* means that XSLT would need no formal changes to accept (multiple root-element) XML Fragments as input instead of (single root-element) XML Documents, if only the underlying parsers would parse them.

Time for XML 1.1 to treat XML Documents as simply a special case of XML Fragments, and both to be considered well-formed. One day maybe. Equal rights for fragment types?

Francis.