Re: [xsl] Are variables allowed in XPATHs?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Are variables allowed in XPATHs?
From: Harry Ohlsen <harryo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 15:36:28 +1100
It might help if you gave us a look at the exact pattern to which XMLSpy was
objecting.

Sorry, I thought the problem was pretty generic and didn't want to muddy things by being too specific. Ie, is it legal to use a variable in an XPATH?

Here's the code it's complaining about (apologies for the line wrapping):

<xsl:template name="delete-section" match="/main/document/item[property[(name='report') and (value=$sectionToDelete)]]">
</xsl:template>

In other words, all I'm trying to do is have the XPATH pick out a subtree of the document that has a property element with a <name> element whose content is "report" and a <value> element whose content is whatever is in the sectionToDelete variable.

That variable happens to come from a separate XSL file, but I wouldn't think that should be important ... although it is to me, for the reasons I mentioned previously.