xslt2 comments (was: [xsl] N : M transformation)

Subject: xslt2 comments (was: [xsl] N : M transformation)
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 10:06:52 GMT
> First until XSLT-2.0 is complete one should not "discard" it, maybe
> providing more feedback is needed

That's one reason I moan about it on this list.
the archives of
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-qt-comments/
will show that I've made many comments on the drafts,
posting there I try to send constructive comments, whereas on xsl-list
it's more a matter of warning people that changes are in the pipeline and
that they should look at the draft specs and comment if they don't meet
expectations/requirements, so I don't feel the need to be so
constructive:-)

> I understand that Michael want to focus
> on XSLT-2 development. Maybe someone can simply write the patch needed
> to get Saxon to implement exslt:document, based on the existing Saxon
> extension (which I implemented too) this should not be too hard. Having
> EXSLT widely deployed will give the XSL group the time to finish XSLT-2
> and XPath-2.

One of the original aims of exslt was a user-requirements led experiment
to implement extensions that could be offered as possible things to
consider in a future recommendation. Sadly Xpath2/XSLT2 have largely
ignored XSLT2 users altogether and gone for a language not fundamentaly
based on XML document markup but on a typed annotated tree format most
naturally derived from some database. There is no doubt a need for such
a language, I don't see the need (except to pander to XML marketing hype)
to call that language Xpath.

Of course this isn't the first time that people have been suggesting
standardising extensions while the WG gets on with finishing a spec.

http://www.biglist.com/lists/xsl-list/archives/199911/msg00178.html