Re: [xsl] Selecting from a node-set using variable path

Subject: Re: [xsl] Selecting from a node-set using variable path
From: "J.Pietschmann" <j3322ptm@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 21:30:42 +0100
gary fong wrote:
This works:
 <xsl:variable name="t1" select="$myNodeSet//a/b/c"/>

This doesn't:
 <xsl:variable name="t2" select="$myNodeSet/$myPath"/>

Ah, this comes up regularly. It's something like doing String a="1 + 1"; int b=1+a; in Java and expecting this is not only doesn't cause the compiler to barf but that b is 3 afterwards.

How do I filter down my node-set based upon some variable
location path?
For simple cases there are pure XPath solutions, however,
in your case you'll have to use an extension function to
invoke a runtime XPath interpreter, for example
 <xsl:variable name="myPath">/a/b/c</xsl:variable>
 <xsl:variable name="t3"
   select="xx:evaluate(concat('$myNodeset/',$myPath))"/>
The inner concat evaluates to the string
 $myNodeset//a/b/c
which in turn is evaluated as XPath expression.

Um, well, IIRC MSXML does not have exactly such an extension
function, but you can use a bit of JScript code to emulate
this. The EXSLT project at sourceforge should have such code.

J.Pietschmann