Re: [xsl] The Perils of Sudden Type-Safety in XPath 2.0

Subject: Re: [xsl] The Perils of Sudden Type-Safety in XPath 2.0
From: Gunther Schadow <gunther@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 23:15:48 -0500
Hi Charles, I may be a bit late with following up on this, and
thanks for keeping it on list:

> I'm trying to reproduce/understand Gunther's problem, and
am having difficulty. Doesn't this typing problem only exist if he is either
working with extensions, as M Kay pointed out, or if he is importing a
schema using xsl:import-schema?

No, I have nothing to do with schemas, no import-schema.

This problem has nothing to do with extension functions either. In
fact, in Saxon, extension function calls still do quite a bit of
nice automatic type casting.

The test case is

   <xsl:template match="block[@indent]">
     <xsl:value-of select="string-pad(' ', @indent)"/>
   </xsl:template>

no schema, no extension.

And I am glad to say that I couldn't agree more with Dimitre here:

The difficulties that even Jeni has prove Kurt's point.

My question is: Isn't there any way simply to nlock all these type
checking, please?

Do the authors of this beast really listen to what we are saying?

Do they respect the XSLT programmers' community?

Michael suggested I comment on the official w3c comment list. But it could be a more powerful comment if it came from more than one of us. We could draft a comment and then mass-mail it in from differnent members of this list.

thanks,
-Gunther

--
Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                    gschadow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Adjunct Assistant Professor        Indiana University School of Medicine