Re: [xsl] Wrapping text in XSL-FO table

Subject: Re: [xsl] Wrapping text in XSL-FO table
From: "W. Eliot Kimber" <eliot@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 10:07:33 -0800
Mukul wrote:
Hello ,
  I am constructing a XSL-FO table. I want a sentence
wrapping effect like as in MS Word. When something is
typed in a table row, I need 2 conditions to be
fulfilled -
1) When a word touches the column boundary , the whole
word wraps to the next line(the word is not split)

This is normal behavior unless you explicitly turn off line breaking.

2) If length of word is greater than the column width,
the word is split and continues on the next line

You will have to turn on hyphenation and probably change the hyphentation character (if you don't actually want a hyphen when a word breaks).

Different implementations may behave differently when flowing text into constrained spaces--XEP, for example, never breaks words unless hyphentation is on, XSL Formatter may. The FO specification leaves these details of line breaking up to implementations.

Cheers,

Eliot
--
W. Eliot Kimber, eliot@xxxxxxxxxx