Re: [xsl] + Signed Number Format

Subject: Re: [xsl] + Signed Number Format
From: David N Bertoni/Cambridge/IBM <david_n_bertoni@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 13:10:23 -0800

> Hi.
>
> I want to use the function  format-number to to put a number in a  money
format.
> This works when the number is either not > signed or negatively signed.
> The XML we got from our client has a "+" sign like this example:
>
> <xsl:value-of select="format-number(+00003345351.89,'$#,###.00')"/>
>
> This won't work.  The same proble is when I use the function sum() on a
column that
> has positive values represented with  "+" signed numbers.

The lexical representation of a number in XPath does not allow a leading
'+' character.  You will need to process the input document to remove the
leading '+' character from any numeric values.  One possibility would be to
write a stylesheet which does this.  Another would be to write a recursive
template which sums a node-set, but detects the leading '+' and strips it.

> Here is the definition of a positive number accoriding to the w3c XML
Schema
> Part 2: Datatypes specs. So according to these standards an xml can have
the "+"
> infront of a number.

The XML Schema recommendation is irrelevant here -- XPath 1.0 was developed
long before XML Schema became a recommendation.

Dave