[xsl] Guidance on XML in Objects vs. Iframes vs. complete rendering in xslt

Subject: [xsl] Guidance on XML in Objects vs. Iframes vs. complete rendering in xslt
From: "bix xslt" <bix_xslt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 20:22:50 +0000
All,

This is more of a design question. I have come up with a scenario where I would really like to display my data in several different ways using various xslt transformations. The various transformations together form a nice GUI environment where I (and my team) can quickly access the information we are most interested in. In addition, all of my data is on the client's computer and no access is required across the internet.

For instance, suppose the data in the XML file looks something like this:

<obj>
 <obj label="requirements">
   <obj label="req_subset">
       <obj label="req_a"/>
       <obj label="req_b"/>
       <obj label="req_c"/>

<obj label="various_reqs"/></obj>

 <obj label="design">
   <obj label="design_artifacts"/></obj>

 <obj label="etc">
   <obj label="moreElements"/></obj>
</obj>

I might want to display a menu (e.g. transform sampleFromAbove.xml using menu.xslt) which creates a something of the effect:
- requirements
+ req_subset
* various_reqs
+ design
+ etc

I might want to display an index of the various items contained within the nodes (i.e. index.xslt). I might also want to display the current path in another portion of the view (i.e. path.xslt produces requirements->req_subset->req_a). Another example may be that I would want to create a small section of the web view where the data could be queried for a particular label. The end result would be a compact, useful view that all uses that original data file.

The question is where does it make sense to transform this data? Do I make all of the transformations at the top node, and then, using <div> elements produce my desired output? Do create the html page first, and then fragment the xml data into the different types (i.e. menu, path, index, search, etc.) with each producing its own html? If I do the latter method, does it make sense to have embedded xml objects or iframes?

At a future point in time, I may wish to update the menu code so that I can display either a vertical or horizontal display of the data. Perhaps I'd like the index information to reference only the child nodes as opposed to the entire tree. In other words, I want the environment flexible enough that it can be extended (hence the various groupings of .xslt files). I have noted that iframes allow me to produce a "space" on the screen where I would have scrollbars (something that will become significant as my data grows), allowing me to keep the displayed material compact, and yet still be flexible to increased amounts of data.

Finally, is there any reference material that anyone might be able to point me to for this type of design work?

Thanks in advance!
bix