Re: [xsl] XPath: ancestor:: axis vs. use of ../../../ etc.

Subject: Re: [xsl] XPath: ancestor:: axis vs. use of ../../../ etc.
From: Jarkko.Moilanen@xxxxxx
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 10:22:44 +0200
Lainaus David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>:

| >> My basic question: what is going on that
| 	A.	"../../@name"
| is so different from
| 	B.	"../../../span-fill/@name"
| ?

Concider the source as a tree where you jump around (Thanks for this
idea, Ken =)). Once you state that ".." you will go to the parent element.
If you would state just "." you would jump on your self axis.

A simple example:
When you would have somethign like this:
<?xml version ="1.0"?>
<Elements>
 <elem>value 1
  <subelem>value 1.1</subelem>
 </elem>
 <elem>value 2
  <subelem>value 2.1</subelem>
 </elem>
</Elements>

and you would apply this stylesheet:

<xsl:output method="html" encoding="iso-8859-1" indent="yes" />

<xsl:template match="Elements">
 <xsl:for-each select="elem/subelem">
 </xsl:for-each>

 <xsl:for-each select="elem/subelem">
 </xsl:for-each>

 <xsl:for-each select="elem/subelem">
 </xsl:for-each>
</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

All of those in this case would select the same values.

Cheers,
Jarkko

Cheers,
Jarkko