RE: [xsl] HTML input tag problem and Unicode

Subject: RE: [xsl] HTML input tag problem and Unicode
From: Edward.Middleton@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 18:43:17 +0900
> Can somebody tell me how to solve this?
>
> when i load data from DB and to redisplay in the input
> tag for example like this :
>
> <input type="text" name="input">
> 	<xsl:attribute name="value">
> 		<xsl:value-of select="input_value"/>
> 	</xsl:attribute>
> </input>
>
> input_value from xml file
> i use encoding ISO8859-1.
> it keeps on display &#...; characters for the signed character
> if i use text area tag and i use
> disable-output-escaping="yes" characteristics
> i can remove these &# .. characters!!!
>
> but for <input> it does not work???

If you want vietnamese characters to be converted from character entities you should change the encoding to one that supports the characters. e.g. utf-8. This can be done with

<xsl:output method="html" encoding="utf-8"/>

If disable-output-escaping actually converted the character from character entities then there is a bug in your xslt processor.

from the xslt 1.0 specification.
http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#disable-output-escaping
If output escaping is disabled for a character that is not representable in the encoding that the XSLT processor is using for output, then the XSLT processor may signal an error; if it does not signal an error, it must recover by not disabling output escaping.

I suspect that you are looking at the page in a web browser that doesn't support character entities very well and so it is not displaying character entities properly in attributes but is in text nodes.

Edward Middleton