RE: [xsl] Which is more efficient?

Subject: RE: [xsl] Which is more efficient?
From: "Passin, Tom" <tpassin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 15:29:26 -0500
[ Caron, Daniel]

> Which of these is the most efficient way of rendering html?
> It's obvious
> which one is easier to code, but which one would actually parse more
> quickly?  In the abbreviated examples below, the difference,
> of course would
> be negligible...but consider a page of a few thousand lines
> of rendered
> HTML.

This will be entirely up to the design of the actual xslt processor.  It
has nothing to do with "parsing", since the time to parse and compile
the stylesheet will be negligible either way.  You would think that the
compiled stylesheet would be the same for both forms, but I am sure that
people like Mike Kay will have something to say about that pretty soon.

If you are seriously interested, make up some test cases and try them in
several different processors, since that is the only way to get
definitive results.

Cheers,

Tom P