RE: [xsl] Re: dynamic XPath?

Subject: RE: [xsl] Re: dynamic XPath?
From: "Yue Ma" <MaY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 10:02:16 -0500
First I thank all of your help here. :)

Yes Tom, you got it correct about my original question: a literal XPath string eventually evaluated as node (node set)
Maybe I didn't give enough or, clear enough information about my question, sorry about that.
My colleague asked me that but I've never used "dynamic XPath" and I remember a while ago I may have read a
post here said that we can not do it, but I wasn't so sure about that.

I'll clarify with my colleague (maybe ask her to re-join this list :)) about it, but for now I agree with the answer that we actually
need an evaluate() function and we don't have it in XSLT 1.0 and 2.0 except some special extensions.

Thanks again!
Yue

>>> tpassin@xxxxxxxxxxxx 03/12/03 04:27PM >>>
[Dimitre Novatchev]

> It will also "work" for more than one node (in case $tagPath
> evaluates to a
> nodeset of two or more nodes) and most probably is not what
> the author of
> the original message wanted.

I think I may have misunderstood here, and perhaps you misunderstood me
as well...  I understood the original question to ask for matching a
__string__ containing a path expression, like "/a/b/c" (that is the kind
of example O thought that Yue Ma showed).  For my own post, I put the
path string into a variable, thinking that it would probably eventually
be sent in via a parameter.

Re-reading your comment, I notice that you might have  thought that I
was selecting a node set into the variable, instead of a string, but
that is not the case.

Cheers,

Tom P