Re: [xsl] Differing behavior of Xalan and Saxon with namespaces. Who's right?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Differing behavior of Xalan and Saxon with namespaces. Who's right?
From: Niko Matsakis <niko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 17:25:56 -0500
In either case, though, the two documents are equivalent since the
FitnessCenter element is in no namespace either way.

As I said, not true. Namespace bindings are, unfortunately, a significant part of the document[1] --- if someone was trying to express a qname in an attribute value, for example, they might care that the binding was omittied.

Furthermore, in section 7.1.1 (Literal Result Elements), the XSLT spec says "The created element node will also have a copy of the namespace nodes that were present on the element node in the stylesheet tree with the exception of any namespace node whose string-value is the XSLT namespace URI (|http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform|), a namespace URI declared as an extension namespace (see [*14.1 Extension Elements*] <http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#extension-element>), or a namespace URI designated as an excluded namespace."

Therefore, Xalan is correct and Saxon is wrong for this particular stylesheet and input. However, as I said earlier, when I run this in my local copy of Saxon, it works fine.

[1] --- don't blame me, I didn't write the specs!

Niko Matsakis

--
DataPower technology
http://www.datapower.com