Re: [xsl] Answers to review questions in "Beginning XSLT": Chapter 8

Subject: Re: [xsl] Answers to review questions in "Beginning XSLT": Chapter 8
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 18:53:34 -0500
Chris,

Having taught in the university setting, I submit that the solution to the problem of plagiarism, or of the inappropriate, uncredited use of extra-curricular materials in general, is not to throttle the public sharing of information where it occurs.

I'm afraid students (and their professors) do have to take some responsibility. If this list were explicitly directed and managed in support of someone's formal curriculum, I could see the reasonableness of our agreeing to observe such restrictions. As it is, I think the benefits of Lars' and Jeni's efforts in public outweigh the costs. (Especially since the cost cited is merely hypothetical and based on the idea that members of this list should be responsible for "too large a temptation for some less scrupulous student". Poor thing, unable to resist!)

Another $0.02 worth. (In place of the nickel's worth of lecture on how the plagiarist is really robbing himself. :-)

Cheers,
Wendell