[xsl] should book answers be posted to XSL List? (was Re: [xsl] Answers to review questions in "Beginning XSLT": Chapter 8)

Subject: [xsl] should book answers be posted to XSL List? (was Re: [xsl] Answers to review questions in "Beginning XSLT": Chapter 8)
From: "Lars Huttar" <lars_huttar@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 15:48:10 -0600
Chris wrote:

> I guess I would suggest that working with specific questions that come up
> in the process of working with XSLT is always fair game:
> this list is an invaluable resource for those (like me) who need such
> assistance. Even someone working on an assignment who needs
> help getting past one specific problem seems fine to me -- that's what TAs
> do anyway, of course. It's just the idea of answering all of
> the questions in such a way that a Google search could find them for that
> budding plagiarist that strikes me as likely to reduce the
> value of Jeni's book. If Jeni doesn't care, it's OK with me, but if it were
> my textbook, I'd rather answer this particular sort of question
> off-list instead.

I see your point.  Since Jeni's already given permission, my main concern
would be not to unduly encourage plagiarism or reduce the usefulness
of this book for teachers.

If we took this off-list, the benefit to me would remain almost the same,
minus a choice comment or two from the gallery of experts.
(There has been little response so far other than from Jeni.)
Let me ask, then, whether there are others reading the list
who are finding this exchange helpful, or think it would be helpful
in the future.  (Thanks Wendell for already weighing in.)
If not, I'd be happy to take this off-list.

Incidentally, does anyone know of courses where Beginning XSLT is used
as a textbook, or is planned for such use?  A quick Google search didn't
turn up anything.  But it does seem likely that someone would use it.

Lars