Re: [xsl] document function in xslt

Subject: Re: [xsl] document function in xslt
From: Mike Brown <mike@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 00:56:53 -0700 (MST)
Stevenson Ngila wrote:
> does the use of this document function lower the speed of my application?
> i.e. if i have:
>
> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
> <xsl:variable name="config-top" select="document( 'names.xml' )/config"/>
> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
>
> does it act as a variable where by onces set it doesn't depend on the
> availability of names.xml document any more?

It should not make a difference whether you call document() once and bind its
result to a variable, or call it separately each time where you need it.
Emphasis on "should"...

Even if you call document() more than once, processors are required to
implement it in a way that always returns an identical root node, and thus the
same document, for the given URI. You should not assume that your processor is
conformant, though. I have seen some, uh, variability in this regard.
The way you are doing it is probably safer, even though it shouldn't make
a difference.

Mike

--
  Mike J. Brown   |  http://skew.org/~mike/resume/