Re: [xsl] questions about XSLT philosophy: how much is too much?

Subject: Re: [xsl] questions about XSLT philosophy: how much is too much?
From: Jeni Tennison <jeni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 12:35:03 +0000
Mike,

>> Some other things can be done, but will always be a little
>> difficult. Then again, there are things that XSLT will never do
>> well. Yesterday's thread about converting Cobol (or maybe Cobol
>> Data) to XML probably goes in that category.
>
> Though with the regular expression handling in XSLT 2.0, you can
> make a reasonable stab at it.

It would still be pretty hard, though, given that there's no support
for matching nested structures. You can use the regular expression
support to tokenise a string (such as a Cobol program) but getting
from there to a parse tree is not straight forward (and
<xsl:for-each-group> won't help). Or have I missed something?

Cheers,

Jeni

---
Jeni Tennison