[xsl] transforming xhtml question

Subject: [xsl] transforming xhtml question
From: TyM949@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Tyrone)
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 18:14:07 -0500
Hello,

I'm doing transformations to some XHTML documents. Basically I need to only remove a few attributes and elements from them and leave the document largely intact beyond that.

I'm having problems navigating to the html elment and other elements when I leave the Doctype and namespace at the top of the xhtml doc.  I assume I'm missing something in my xpath syntax but for the life of me I can't figure out what.

Here's essentially my template

<xsl:template match="/">
    <xsl:apply-templates select="//html"/>
    <xsl:apply-templates select="//head"/>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="html">
<!-- do stuff here -->
</xsl:template>
<xsl:template match="head">
<!-- do stuff here -->
</xsl:template>

Transforming this document doesn't work with the above ( it never selects my html head templates )

<?xml version="1.0"?>
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd";>

page body<br />

Transforming this document works as expected

<?xml version="1.0"?>
page body<br />

It's my understanding that the root element in each document is still html yes?

p.s.
I've been looking for some kind of XPATH tool that will let me see how a document tree is represented in XPATH syntax. If anyone knows of such a tool could you post a link?

Thanks
Tyrone