RE: [xsl] Creating a binary file

Subject: RE: [xsl] Creating a binary file
From: "Michael Kay" <mhk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 09:27:30 +0100
> I'd like to create a (proprietary) binary file, on the
> Windows platform, using a XSL transformation.

You can get 95% of the way with XSLT, by generating an XML
representation of the binary file. The final 5% will need some custom
code: for example, a home-grown serializer.

You will need to decide how to represent the bytes in your XML
representation. Most byte values (20-FF) can be represented using the
Unicode character whose codepoint is numerically the same as the byte
value. For the other values, various representations are possible, for
example a processing instruction <?x01?>. Or you might prefer to
generate the whole thing as base64 text and then convert it to binary as
a post-processing phase.

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael.H.Kay@xxxxxxxxxxxx