RE: [xsl] I have the XSLT, now need to make it usable as user-input form?

Subject: RE: [xsl] I have the XSLT, now need to make it usable as user-input form?
From: Andrew Watt <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 22:24:39 +0100
At 16:30 18/04/2003 -0400, you wrote:
Oops, forgot one question from last post:

"In XForms probably it would be better simply to update the <jargon>instance

data</jargon> then submit later - at least that's what I would be tempted
to do."

        Would I not have to specify every element that changed? I haven't
yet found the way just to save it as an xml instance!

Kathy,

An XForms processor should take care of that automatically for you.

Basically what happens is that the instance markup (content of <xforms:instance>) is copied in memory to a separate tree - a little like the way a source document is made into a tree to be processed in XSLT. The in-memory copy in XForms is called "instance data".

If you make a change to an XForms form control the corresponding part of the in-memory instance data is updated (assuming the binding is correct).

Then when you submit the data it should be serialized and submitted as well-formed XML.

You need something at the server end that is expecting data to be submitted as well-formed XML, rather than name-value pairs that most HTML forms will submit.

Andrew Watt