Re: [xsl] A Question **TO** XSLT Newbies

Subject: Re: [xsl] A Question **TO** XSLT Newbies
From: Andrew Watt <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 19:08:03 +0100
Hi again Larry,

We seem to follow each other around on various lists. :)

At 12:24 21/04/2003 -0500, you wrote:
I have to agree on this one. Frankly, I found XSLT itself to be fairly easy to learn, once I got into it. And thinking declaritively in general wasn't a problem.

Do you think having worked with declarative animation in SVG helped? Or have you worked with any other declarative/functional languages?

Some people seem to really choke on the idea of variables that can't be varied.

It's figuring out how to pull data out properly that is the problem, vis, XPath. I HATE XPath. :-) I don't know how universal this is, but XPath is always the part of any XSLT script that gives me the most hassle, every single time.

Interesting. Have you any idea why you find it hard? I know that may seem a stupid question, but have you reached a stage on some aspects of XPath where a light has gone and you can say "I wish I had seen/understood that at the beginning"?

If you or others who find XPath hard care to share what it is that you find hard it would help those of us on list who try to write learning materials.

Andrew Watt