Re: [xsl] Comparing comma seperated string in XSLT

Subject: Re: [xsl] Comparing comma seperated string in XSLT
From: Peter Flynn <peter@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 04 May 2003 12:16:23 +0100
On Sun, 2003-05-04 at 01:41, Girish Savadatti wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am passing a parameter to XSLT which is comma
> seperated value. e.g. depts = 1,2,3,4,5
>
> XML source is
>
> <metaData>
>   <docTitle>FooBar News</docTitle>
>   <url>FooBar.html</url>
>   <departments>22,2,23,236</departments>
> </metaData>
>
> Here any one deparment from depts string matches in
> departments element then I want to to display this
> News on the page.
>
> i.e. use string tokenizer on depts string get one
> department and then do contains on <departments>
>
> Is it possible to do using XSLT?

Mike Brown has posted useful links for this on using substring-before
and substring-after with recursion.

Whenever I see a question of this type, I am reminded of the function
in PPL (the 4GL inside the P-Stat package)

	[IF ANY (expr1) IN (expr2), action...]

where <exprn> could be anything from a couple of variable names to an
arbitrarily complex expression containing -- in this case -- string-
split operations. This provides a feature of rather high productivity
as it replaces a quite large amount of user code each time, although
the implicit nested loop is linearly expensive for large numbers of
values generated by the expressions.

Is there a policy for XSLT >1.1 on what level of function-bloat
people are likely to tolerate? I'm not suggesting this particular one
should be included, but I'm interested to know what people feel is
a good way to measure what should go in and what should not.

///Peter