RE: [xsl] interactive XSLT

Subject: RE: [xsl] interactive XSLT
From: "Lars Huttar" <lars_huttar@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 12:54:50 -0500
> Sorry, if this question is simple for you. But I can not find a good
> solution from the Web articles I found.
>
> My problem sound very simple:
>
> I want to display the XML source applying different XSL style sheets
> dependent on the user interaction (e.g. buttons) or
> (preferred) the same
> style sheet with different parameter settings. The xml should not be
> transformed to html and then displayed, but directly viewed
> in the browser
> ( starting first a parser with different parameters would be too much
> handling overhead at customer side).
>
> MY QUESTION:
>   Can I modify parameters (xsl:param) from Javascript based on user
> interaction? How?

You can in IE, but unfortunately I don't know anything about Mozilla,
and I think this is somewhat browser-specific.

To see how to do it in IE, go to:
http://www.biglist.com/lists/xsl-list/archives/200102/msg00277.html

In this model, the XSL transformation is done in Javascript with
  outputHTML = sourceXMLDoc.transformNode(stylesheet);

The above web page shows two ways to customize parameters.

>   Can I combine one XML document with different style sheets
> based on user interaction (e.g. Javascript)?

Yes; in the above statement, simply use a different stylesheet
as the argument to transformNode().

> The XML should be viewed at our customers. On these Linux PCs
> mozilla is
> installed as browser. No web server is available.

I disagree with the other person who said you can't do any of this
without a web server.  I'm doing some similar things on my machine
using the browser alone (which uses Javascript and an XSLT processor)
to produce different kinds of output based on user input.
Hope you can find a way to do this in Mozilla.