RE: [xsl] Can I force XSLT to output the long-form of an element rather than the shorthand form?

Subject: RE: [xsl] Can I force XSLT to output the long-form of an element rather than the shorthand form?
From: "Passin, Tom" <tpassin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 11:07:06 -0400
[Chris Loschen]

> Several people suggested forcing a space (or a non-breaking
>  space) into the
> empty anchor tag so
> that it would no longer be empty, but that would add an extra
> space into my
> copy (which would
> mean that the content is incorrect), and in any case, I'd end
> up with an
> underlined (hyperlinked)
> space which I don't want. These are actually intended to be
> target anchors,
> not clickable hyperlinks.

If the result is going to displayed in a browser, an internal anchor
(that is, an <a> element with no href attribute and with a name or id
attribute) does __not__ display as an underlined hyperlink.

Example -

This is <a name='a1'>an anchor</a>.

So in fact you can have your anchor enclose content without looking like
a link.

Cheers,

Tom P