RE: [xsl] Matching a series of elements in a function

Subject: RE: [xsl] Matching a series of elements in a function
From: "Doug Howell (IT)" <DHOWELL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 13:17:43 -0400
<snip>
I'm changing the value of the select attribute as a result of user input to search for appropriate components. In this line, I'm trying to find every component where one (any) of its child process elements contains the search text the user typed in:

strNodeToSelect = "/component-report//component[contains(translate(process,'abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz', 'ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ'),'" + searchTextUpperCase + "')]";

This works fine, as long as the search text is found in the _first_ process element. When the text is in the second or third or fourth, it doesn't match. Is it possible to write this in such a way that it matches the text in _any_ of the process elements?
</snip>

Thanks to Sundar for suggesting using different XSL code, but that didn't work for me in this case, as I only want to alter the select attribute of the same XSL file, depending on user input. Thankfully, I needed the same answer that I found in the last two messages of the current XPath Problem thread. I was also using a function, and the function was only converting the first node in the matching node set to a string, so it was only matching text from the _first_ process element. After that revelation, I've taken the process element out of the function, created a "parent" predicate and used the context element inside the "child" predicate function. The line now looks like this, and works like I want it to:

strNodeToSelect = "/component-report//component[process[contains(translate(.,'abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz', 'ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ'),'" + searchTextUpperCase + "')]]";

Thanks,
Doug Howell
Information Architect
Borders Group