Re: [xsl] Applying for-each loop to variable that contains result tree fragment

Subject: Re: [xsl] Applying for-each loop to variable that contains result tree fragment
From: Shirley Peter <petershirley_2000@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 20:07:55 +0100 (BST)
Apologies - the email wasn't complete ...

I want to use a variable as the context for a for-each
 loop.
i.e. <xsl:for-each select="$var">

However the content of this variable is dependent on
some conditions, and therefore the body of the
variable is used to determine this.
e.g.
<xsl:variable name="var">
  <xsl:if test="somecondition">
    <xsl:value-of select="nodes1"/>
  </xsl:if>
  <xsl:if test="othercondition">
    <xsl:value-of select="nodes2"/>
  </xsl:if>
</xsl:variable>

I get an error in the for-each loop: "Can not convert
#RTREEFRAG to a NodeList!"

It appears that I can only loop through a variable if
its value has been set with the select attribute
(rather than in its body).
Can anyone confirm this, and can they suggest a
different approach to setting this variable?

Thanks,
Pete