[xsl] effort to port Saxon7.x to JDK1.3

Subject: [xsl] effort to port Saxon7.x to JDK1.3
From: Xiaocun Xu <xiaocunxu@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 13:33:52 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks for the reply on confirming the approaches.

I would love to skip straight to Saxon 7.5, but it
requires JDK1.4 and my code has to work with
WebLogic6.1 which does not support JDK1.4.

I really dreaded expanding out the variables.  After
much time hoping WebLogic6.1 would certify JDK1.4, I
finally run out of time and have to deal with it, one
single case immediately confirmed my dread.  A
xsl:statement of 251 characters, now became 970
characters, it would be a nighmare to read and
maintain.  I have about 20 such cases in my code.

Is it possible and how much effort would it be for me
port Saxon 7.5 to JDK1.3_004?

Thanks,
Xiaocun

--- Michael Kay <michael.h.kay@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >   I thought this should have been a popular
> question,
> > but somehow I did not find it in the archive.
> >   I am in the process of upgrading from Saxon
> > the latest 6.5.2.  While doing regression testing,
> > found compile errors "xsl:key may not contain
> > references to variables".  Guess the newer version
> is
> > more tightly following the specs.
>
> I'm surprised that this ever worked, but 6.0.2 is a
> long time ago.
>
> >   I can expand the variables so that it no longer
> use
> > variables in both match and use attributes, but it
> > will make the code less-readable and more
> difficult to
> > maintain.  Anyone had similar problem and had a
> more elegant solution?
>
> You could skip straight to Saxon 7.4: XSLT 2.0
> allows global variables
> to appear in key definitions, provided there are no
> circularities (i.e.,
> the variables must not be defined in terms of the
> key).
>
> For an XSLT 1.0 solution, I think you've identified
> the only thing
> possible.
>
> Michael Kay
> Software AG
> home: Michael.H.Kay@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> work: Michael.Kay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> >   Attached are some of the examples of the
> variables
> > and xsl:key currently in my code.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Xiaocun
> >
> > <!-- Find all lineitems, key on
> > string(LineItemLotName) to handle 0 or 1
> > LineItemLotName -->
> > <xsl:variable name="LineItemLotColumn"

select="$LineItemHeader/cell[.=saxon:n2v($mapRFQ,'LineItemLotN