RE: [xsl] XSLT Language Grammar

Subject: RE: [xsl] XSLT Language Grammar
From: Randy Oxentenko <randy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 09:50:29 -0500
I should just sit back and watch for answers from the experts here, but I'll
see how close I can get to an answer to the question.

I suppose the grammar of XSLT would be the same as the grammar of XML, since
XSLT is expressed in XML, but perhaps there is more to it than that.  The
pointers below refer to XSLT 2.0.

There is an element syntax description that describes some of the semantics
of XSLT.

http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt20/#element-syntax-summary

There is a grammar for XPATH.

http://www.w3.org/2002/11/xquery-xpath-applets/xpath-bnf.html

You could always study the code for something like Saxon or Xalan.  I assume
the equivalent of the "grammar production rules" would be built in to those
products.

I'm curious how you want to apply the grammar.  Are you writing a tool, or
just learning XSLT from the bottom up?

Randy Oxentenko