RE: [xsl] Re: What is the best way to cast integer to string in X SLT2?

Subject: RE: [xsl] Re: What is the best way to cast integer to string in X SLT2?
From: Andrew Watt <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 17:36:00 +0100
At 15:38 12/05/2003 +0100, you wrote:
> I don't think it is quite as simple as that. Nor, if I am
> correct, can it be.

Yes it could. Provide the functions from the engine, then manipulate the
strings.
  I guess that's what xslt users have been doing for a while?

Dave,

How does your suggestion solve the kind of issues arising with

<mySillyDate>Fred</mySillyDate>

and

<myNotQuiteSoSillyDate>25th December 2010</myNotQuiteSoSillyDate>

?

You are proposing that XSLT stylesheet authors continue to pfaff around with multiple string-related functions to manipulate dates .... ? Oops I mean strings that happen to look like dates. :)

So, correct me if I am misunderstanding you here, you are saying you will forego the date / time / duration functions in XPath 2.0 / XSLT 2.0 if it means you having to learn even a very little about W3C XML Schema?

Andrew Watt