RE: [xsl] Perpetuating xsl instructions

Subject: RE: [xsl] Perpetuating xsl instructions
From: "Passin, Tom" <tpassin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 13:05:33 -0400
[Alan Gardner]

> The solution requires dynamically writing a web page by
> aggregating n number
> of XML docs without writing any code (a one off solution).
> Essentially a
> chain reaction is initiated where the first XSL document runs
> up a 'tree' of
> XML documents, merging XML into itself. The terminating transformation
> results in a pure XML document (minus the XSL) with all the
> content needed
> to build the web page.
>
> If you can think of another solution, we'd love to hear it.

It depends on how you are supposed to know which xml pieces to
concatenate.  Assuming there is some way to know that beforehand, I
would create a driver file and run the transform against it instead.
Something like this -

driver.xml

<pieces>
 <piece src='file:///piece1.xml'/>
 <piece src='file:///piece2.xml'/>
</pieces>

aggregate.xsl

<xsl:stylesheet .....>
<xsl:template match='/pieces'>
<wrapper-element>
   <xsl:for-each select='piece'>
      <xsl:copy-of select='document(@src)'/>
   </xsl:for-each>
</wrapper-element>
</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

This is simple and easy to maintain, and very clear as to what it is
doing.

Cheers,

Tom P