[xsl] Re: Using XSL for a "world records" table

Subject: [xsl] Re: Using XSL for a "world records" table
From: "Dimitre Novatchev" <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 07:51:57 +0200
> http://www.speedcubing.com/records/recs_cube_333.html
>
> I have succeeded in handling the basic requirements in xsl, but I have
> run into a few problems:
>
> - notice in the existing records page that two people are tied for first
>   place. In this case, they should both have "1" in the "Place" column.
>   My current approach fails: when I sort on the time column and use the
>   value of position() for place, it unfairly gives one of them second
>   place. Is there another way?

Yes, it is called grouping. You can learn more about the Muenchian method
for grouping at:
http://www.jenitennison.com/xslt/grouping/index.html

> - recent records are given a yellow background so they stand out. To do
>   this, I need to test if the record date is greater-than 14 days ago.
>   My current idea for this is to store dates in yyyymmdd format, and
>   pass the date of 14 days ago as an xsl parameter. Then colour yellow
>   each record if its date is greater than the parameter. Can anyone
>   think of a better way that doesn't require such a parameter?
>
> - the time field needs to be formatted for any value from hundredths of
>   a second up to days or years. Will I need to write my own extension
>   function to do the formatting, or does one exist already?

I use the datetime_lib.xsl library, distributed with Xselerator (you can
just download the trial version).

A long time ago I wrote an XSLT Calendar application using this library --
this can be obtained at:

http://www.topxml.com/code/default.asp?p=3&id=v20020711152545

=====
Cheers,