[xsl] How to test if the variable contains nodeset or not

Subject: [xsl] How to test if the variable contains nodeset or not
From: DURDINA Michal <durdina@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 14:44:29 +0200
Hello,
I am using Saxon and stylesheet version 1.1 and I regularly pass node-sets
as parameters to xsl:call-template.

Now I need to test, if a parameter within called template contains nodeset
or it contains string, because when it is not handled I get exception > The
value is not a node-set

  <xsl:template name="normalize-messages">
    <xsl:param name="messages"/>

    <xsl:choose>
      <xsl:when test="$messages/tr/td">
      </xsl:when>
    </xsl:choose>
   <xsl:call-template name="normalize-messages">
      <xsl:with-param name="messages">
      </xsl:with-param>
       or
      <xsl:with-param name="messages" select="'Messsage type 2'"/>
   </xsl:call-template>

I found similar problem on XSLT FAQ, but it does not provide solution.
http://www.dpawson.co.uk/xsl/sect2/N8090.html#d8048e946

Thank you,
Michal